Monday, November 16, 2009

Missing the American Fall

"You are more American than McDonalds.” My friend from Mexico told me this today as we were discussing the differences between the cultures of different countries. It made me smile. For whatever reason today I was thinking about America. Topics included stuff like Thanksgiving, football, driving, steak, Medina County, trucks, farms, random. So now myself and a few other Americans are on a search for a football. Unfortunately Barack was unable to bring one over for us, its ok though, I know he’s busy. Anyway I didn’t realize that I would miss hearing about American sports, but I actually do. I guess I’m just used to hearing my friends back home talking about them and stuff. Also it is different hearing the news from your country when you’re abroad. I have noticed that now I pay closer attention to the news. I like to check out various online news sites and see what they are saying, especially the foreign stuff. Then I like to go ask my friends from different countries and hear how their country’s news companies reported the same story. It is actually pretty interesting.

Alright I have a random story, there is no transition from the last paragraph but whatever, I’m doing this Evan Vereb style. So I brought my red stapler with me. There may be a few lucky people who are reading this right now who have witnessed and maybe even used the greatness that is the Rio Red Swingline stapler, with SF 4 premium staples. Just like the one from the office. I brought out the greatness this week, cause I had some loose receipts and you got to keep your stuff together. I showed my roommate and he asked me where I got it. I told him that I got in America and that I brought it over with me. Then is dawned on me that the stapler is actually made in China, so in essence I brought it back to its home. My roommate and I found this very funny. Yes a stapler may be the last thing that anyone would bring to a foreign country, but believe it, cause that just happened. Now the Rio Red Swingline stapler has another reason to be cool and for those who get to use it, another reason to feel proud.

Ok I have a food story now. Being in Shanghai and studying at this university I have gotten the opportunity to make friends with people from all over the world. So lately I have been enjoying getting food with these people from their respective countries. For example one weekend I had Russian food with Russians, Japanese food with Japanese, Mexican with Mexicans, Italian with Italians, and of course American with Americans. This past weekend I got to enjoy some Turkish food with my roommate. The restaurant itself was very Turkish, and it was a buffet, which I am always a big fan of. The food itself was really good, not as good as Turkish food in Turkey, but for me it was pretty tasty. The food included a lot of meat, bread, and some good vegetable dishes. Also some pretty good desert as well, including a really good rice pudding called “sutlac”. The dinner was organized by the Turkish embassy so there where a whole bunch of Turkish students. They were all very friendly and I even got to see some traditional Turkish dancing. Ok, well it is about that time again, bedtime. I’ll talk to you later, bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment